This challenge focuses on the need to increase global food supplies through sustainable management of resources to keep pace with the demands of a growing world population.
Plant breeders, researchers, farmers, agri-business and government are working to provide a sustainable supply of food which is affordable, nutritious and safe.
NIAB Innovation Farm demonstrations include:
- Increasing crop yields
- Extended seasonality and quality of produce, e.g. strawberries
- Improving year-round supply
- changes in maturity, e.g. peas
- improving stress tolerance, e.g. festulolium
- Improving nutritional content or end-use, e.g. quinoa with enhanced digestibility.